Monday, April 5, 2010

Good Friday was Good!

On Good Friday evening I went to the bus as usual to do bible study with the kids. This week we colored eggs and told the Easter story. It was a blessing to spend time with the kids telling them about Jesus who loved them so much.



But the story I want to tell is about a friend of mine named Cece (pictured above). I met her about a year and a half ago when she had just gotten out of the nursing home after recovering from getting run over by a semi-truck. Her leg was pretty messed up. When she found out that I had treats for the kids each week she would yell in a groggily (if that's a word) voice, "Hey, honey, you got any chocolate?" And since I couldn't lie or tell her no I would bring her some reluctantly. Didn't she realize this candy was for the kids? What nerve! But week after week of hearing that "hey honey" I began to expect it and was ready to give her some chocolate. At some point God began to show me an alcoholic woman whom he loved and who was very lonely. She comes each week to the bus and sits on one of the chairs, next to her man- Marvin (that's another post another time). They stay the whole evening and all the volunteers know them and look forward to them each week. On good Friday evening for the first time that I know of, she expressed a desire to get clean from drugs and went to a rehab. She didn't stay long and she is still drinking (not sure if she really does use drugs) but it is exciting to see in her a desire to change. She continues to talk about doing something and she welcomes our prayers each week. I can see God loving her and beginning a good work in her. Pray that she continues to seek Him and begins to understand what He has done for her on the cross. Also, pray that we can find the right connection (more than just Friday night) for her to develop a new relationship with Christ.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Good stuff! Keep it up Darcy!

Juan Galloway said...

I just now read this. Good story and photos. I'd like to see more!