Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Got Blood?

Last Saturday I was in Brooklyn leading the Bus outreach for New York City Relief. Unlike most Saturday's they had a drug free parade. There were thousands of people that came through the park that day. The FDNY had a station set up handing out smoke detectors and giving people demonstrations on home fire safety. The local Planned Parenthood were handing out condoms and giving quizzes to see how much the general public know about HIV/Aids. I missed one question. Of course, this allowed her to give her spiel on safe sex. I listened. There were also people trying to help the elderly get better health coverage. As usual we had a farmer's market within 100 feet and the ladies from the church across the street selling clothing and giving the money to some of there missionaries. Parked right behind us was this big R.V. converted into a blood drive on wheels. I was wondering why they didn't have anyone standing in line to give blood, from what I thought it was a simple process that didn't affect you at all. Boy, was I ever wrong! So, me being the great guinea pig I am, I ventured over and asked how long it would take, "about 1/2 hour". That is manageable, I went and made sure all was fine at the bus and came back to donate blood.
First, they gave me a questionnaire with questions about sex and orientation, not in any certain order. My curiosity got the best of me and I asked "why so many questions about male on male stuff?". I must have sounded guilty "Sir, we are not trying to single you out by any means." After she said that I didn't know how to reply, I chuckled and said that "Don't get me wrong I am married." We went through an awkward silence and then she said "what do you guys do over at your bus?" I told her the scoop and how much I love Jesus and his call in Matthew 25, and also about the sheep and the goats. She replied, "Baaaaaa." She then put me on the table and put this BIG needle in my arm, not how I had envisioned it. I thought maybe they would take one of those needles with a container on one side and pull out a dropper full of blood. Nope, not at all. No wander there wasn't a line waiting outside. In fact, I was the only one in there the entire time. Finally after I had given my blood away I got a free shirt and bottle of water. Walking out of the R.V. I almost fell, I went back to my team at our bus and they told me to go lay down I looked like Casper. I did for a few minutes using my new shirt as my pillow. Yesterday, I got a notice in the mail saying I could donate blood every 56 days! Sorry, not me. --Austin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i passed out once giving blood and hit my head on the gym floor. Good times!