Friday, September 14, 2007

The Need is too Great...for us

I went on the bus today with Austin to Chelsea Park in Manhattan. We left the boys with a friend (we trade babysitting when we want to go on the bus with our husbands.) After praying and worshiping on our way into the city, we pulled up to the busy park and were greeted by a team ready to serve on the bus. First, I must say what a miracle it is every week to have a parking spot on this busy street. Praise God! When we pulled in there were homeless people already waiting for the bus. When I stepped off the bus I was immediately approached for some help from a woman who was pregnant and wanted some type of assistance. Another lady wanted a blanket for the nights that are quickly becoming chilly here. As I listened to their needs I felt overwhelmed with sorrow and thought I might start crying right there. But I knew I had to suck it up and try to help. We had some clothes on the bus that were donated by someone who cleaned out their closet. As I sat at the back of the bus organizing these clothes which were mostly womens (not helpful at this location but they would be tomorrow in Brooklyn) one man after another came asking for pants, shirts, jackets, underwear, shoes. I sadly had to tell them sorry not this week. Underwear... how humiliating must that be to have to ask for a pair of underwear? Or to take a pair of women's pants and jacket so you could have a clean change of clothes.
If it breaks my heart and probably yours too as you're reading this, think how God must feel to see his children hurting like this. His children. We try to meet there physical needs but sometimes we can't. We can offer them soup, a drink, an ear to listen, a referral to other missions, a prayer, and the hope of Jesus Christ. The need is too great for us to handle, but not for God. --Darcy

2 comments:

Toevs said...

You are a blessing to those people! You are really feeding the hungry and clothing the naked. We will keep praying for you guys.

STEPHANIE said...

hey darcy and austin....i cant wait to come visit!!!!! i miss you guys so much!!!!

love you!